Saturday, November 7, 2009

Is there a problem with group email.?

I have a group set up (List) of contacts so I can e-mail them all in one go. This has been working fine for over a year. Now when I try to send I get an error message saying "missing or malformed recipiant"


I have more than one group set up and this happens on them all. I havnt added or deleted any contacts from the group when it was working fine.


If I leave the new mail plus and go back into classic mail, I can send stuff just fine. So the individual addressess must all be fine, it just effects the new mail.





Hope somebody can help, Is anyone else having this problem?

Is there a problem with group email.?
You are not alone in this. it happened to me 10 days ago, the group (I'll refer to the distribution list by this term) was working fine one day, then the next day I got the same error messages as you. And like you, it works fine when I switched back to classic mail. I contacted yahoo, and the team that is handling my report asked me to send them screen shots, which I did. Today I received the most idiotic response I can imagine -- the guy said, "You'll have to reconstruct the group". If it worked once before and then stopped working, but still works in classic, then the problem is a bug they introduced in new mail in between the time our group mail worked and then stopped working.





However it seems to be ok on small groups. One of mine has only 5 people in it and it is ok. The one that fails has 44 in it. So, try a small group and see if there is a difference. If there is, one obvious bug for the Yahoo team to check is an unintended size limit their modification introduced. But we should not have to advise them on strategies for de-bugging! It is simple enough to start with a small group, then keep increasing its size until it fails. But it could also be something more subtle.





I reported to them some experiments I tried. I switched browser, switched operating systems, etc. The error is persistent, but in all the permutations classic works with the group. I did not give them the idea in the preceding paragraph as I am curious to see how long it will take for it to occur to them as among the things they should check.





I just told them if they cannot fix it soon, I'll migrate permanently to gmail as I already use it occasionally. If enough of us threaten to do this, we might get a sensible response. I dislike their tone that implies I am an idiot. I happen to know quite a bit about software systems, and am aware that it is not unusual for bugs to creep in during modifications for enhanced performance. but an admission from the team that it is a bug, and they are trying to fix it, would be the polite thing to do!


No comments:

Post a Comment

 


group email © 2008. Design by: Pocket Web Hosting